1 One employee identifies as non-gender specific
Note: The people numbers given here differ from those supplied in the annual integrated report as the numbers in the latter are supplied by Finance which calculates numbers differently from Human Resources (HR). Those given here are supplied by HR.
United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) Principle 1:
Business should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
UNGC Principle 2:
make sure their own corporations are not complicit in human rights abuses
UNGC Principle 3:
Businesses should uphold freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
UNGC Principle 4:
the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
UNGC Principle 5:
the effective abolition of child labour; and
UNGC Principle 6:
the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
Closing the gender gap at Carmignano Mill
Sappi is on a journey towards greater diversity and inclusion, cultivating a culture where all people can realise their potential. Carmignano Mill in Italy is helping to show the way. While women have traditionally been underrepresented in our industry, the mill is working to close this gender gap.
In 2020, women comprised 60% of new hires in 'white collar' roles spanning from innovation and process engineering to supply chain and customer service. Across Sappi Europe progress is also being made to attract more women to management roles. Since 2019, the proportion of women in management roles has increased from 13.6% to 16%.
Income differentials between genders 2020
||Number of employees
included in the
When assessing income differentials we compare the person's salary to the midpoint of the salary scale for that level of position. For the purpose of gender income parity, we look for a close match between male and female. From on overall point of view there is a small pay gap between male and female with males being paid on average 10% above the salary scale midpoint and females 5% above the midpoint.
Please refer to Our 2020 People indicators on www.sappi.com/2020GSDR-People-indicators for tables detailing
- Total workforce by level and gender
- Gender split per region
- Workforce profile by gender and nature of employment
- Workforce by minority group (numbers)
- Gender and age split at executive level
- New hires (internal and external) by age group, gender and region
- New external hires: gender percentages
- All exits: voluntary and involuntary
- Voluntary exits as a percentage of permanent employees (voluntary turnover)
- Voluntary exits only (resignations)
- Absenteeism rate by gender and overall
- Total turnover rate (voluntary and involuntary)
- Voluntary turnover by gender – voluntary exits as a percentage of the number of employees per gender
- Voluntary and involuntary exits by gender, age category and region